Medical Negligence Litigation
We are devoted and determined advocates. Our goal is to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by medical negligence and to help alleviate the devastating physical, emotional, and financial burdens they suffer. Our attorneys are known for their unsurpassed preparation and relentless dedication to our clients who put their trust in us. We have a remarkable record of accomplishment and have obtained multimillion-dollar results for our clients. Through our work, we also seek to improve the delivery of quality health care by compelling providers and hospitals to use methods that reduce errors and improve physician-patient communication.
Todd & Weld's attorneys have represented plaintiffs in numerous cases including failure to diagnose and treat cancer and other diseases, failure to diagnose and treat heart and stroke symptoms, surgical errors, and birth injuries among others. We also represent individuals in wrongful death cases against nursing homes. Todd & Weld has developed a specialty in handling cases on a national level for children who have suffered kernicterus, a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) following birth.
Our law firm provides you with the resources of a large firm, including cutting-edge courtroom presentation tools that allow us to tell your story effectively and with compassion. We also offer the personalized service provided by small firms. Our lawyers are sensitive to your concerns and spend the time needed to answer your questions and keep you informed as the case moves forward.
- $4 million verdict in wrongful death case against medical providers who failed to adequately monitor the condition of an anemic woman who tragically bled to death shortly after giving birth to her fourth child (largest medical malpractice verdict in Massachusetts in 2017)
- $2.25 million settlement in wrongful death case on behalf of the family of a woman against an examining physician who misdiagnosed the woman's sepsis as Raynaud's Syndrome
- $1.2 million settlement in a wrongful death case on behalf of the family of a man against a physician for failing to timely intubate the man following an earlier diagnosis of angioedema (rapid swelling of tongue and throat)
- $10 million arbitration award to family of a child born with severe cognitive and behavioral problems due to a failure to diagnose a genetic neurological disease in the mother despite the mother showing symptoms of the disease prior to giving birth (highest medical malpractice arbitration award in Massachusetts history)
- A $7.175 Million jury verdict ($10.5 Million with interest) against a nurse on behalf of a family with a child who developed kernicterus (brain damage) after the nurse discharged the child from a hospital without taking a bilirubin test despite the fact that the child had developed jaundice before discharge.
- Settlements in other kernicterus cases for $5 Million and $3 Million.
- A $1.9+ Million ($2.9 Million with interest) verdict against an OB/GYN for medical malpractice resulting in the wrongful death of a 32-year-old 38-week pregnant wife and mother of a 4-year-old child.
- A $1.75 million settlement (before discovery commenced) of a wrongful death case involving a 63-year-old woman who died from complications from an incorrectly performed gastric bypass as well as three years of vomiting, nausea, fever and bouts of aspiration pneumonia suffered after the operation and before her death.
- A $1.7 Million settlement at mediation on behalf of the estate of a hospital patient who died from severe brain damage which resulted after the patient attempted suicide with a robe.
- A $1.6+ Million ($2.4 Million with interest) verdict against an internal medicine practitioner for medical malpractice resulting in the wrongful death of a 22-year-old college basketball player from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM).
- A $1.6 Million settlement arising out of the death of a 19-year-old young woman against a hospital and ER personnel. The healthy teenager died from cardiac illness in the hospital 14 hours after arriving in the ER with severe chest pain and never getting a cardiology consult.
- A $1.6 Million settlement for a 38-year-old woman who suffered disabling injuries to her hand as a result of an infiltrated intravenous solution into the compartments of her hand, resulting in an injury known as “acute compartment syndrome.”
- A $1.6 Million settlement (shortly after the lawsuit was filed) arising out of the death of a software engineer in his 30's resulting from a pulmonary embolism from a blood clot in his calf (deep vein thrombosis or “DVT”) after arthroscopic knee surgery which was undiagnosed by his physical therapist.
- A $1.25 Million settlement prior to closing arguments during trial as a result of the death of a 33 year old architect from complications of Guillain-Barré syndrome which was improperly treated by a pulmonary physician and neurologist.
- A $1.01 Million settlement on behalf of a 29 year old woman who suffered a debilitating stroke during the delivery of twins.
- Two $1 Million settlements for women based on their physicians' failure to diagnose breast cancer.
- A $1 Million settlement on the second day of trial as a result of the death of a 15-year-old girl from pneumonia which was undiagnosed in an emergency room.
- A $1 Million settlement in connection with the death of a 49-year-old woman due to a perforated bowel, a complication resulting from an ovarian-cyst oophorectomy performed six days earlier.
- A $750,000 settlement on behalf of a family of a man in his early 40's who died of a heart attack, which should have been diagnosed by his treating physician when he complained of chest pains earlier in the month.
- A $700,000 settlement for a client who claimed that the defendant neurosurgeon's negligence caused or substantially contributed to a three-year delay in the diagnosis of the plaintiff's multiple sclerosis, during which time the plaintiff's MS progressed untreated. During that three-year delay in diagnosis, the defendant also performed unnecessary brain surgery on the plaintiff that resulted in post-surgical issues.
- A $500,000 settlement arising out of the death of a 13-year-old girl due to failure of her pediatricians to diagnose and treat a shunt malfunction.
- A $475,000 (plus $171,000 in interest) arbitration award against an obstetrician for failure to perform a caesarean section on a woman who delivered an abnormally large baby resulting in shoulder dystocia, Erbs palsy and brachial plexus injuries to the child.
- A $450,000 pre-suit settlement arising out of a sciatic nerve injury suffered by a 64-year-old man during hip replacement surgery.
- A $400,000 settlement on behalf of a family of a child who was stillborn as a result of an obstetrician's failure to perform a caesarean section.
- A $315,000 pre-suit settlement for a 48-year-old woman who underwent an unnecessary hysterectomy after a lab error involving a cross-contamination of pathology slides led to a mistaken diagnosis of endometrial cancer.
- A $315,000 pre-suit settlement for a 67-year-old woman with back pain who had surgery performed at the wrong level of her back, requiring a second surgery.
- A $250,000 pre-suit settlement for a 62-year-old woman who suffered pain and vision difficulties after Mohs and lid reconstruction surgery for basal cell carcinoma of the left inner canthus.
- In a nationally publicized case, a verdict on behalf of a man against an IVF clinic that created his child from frozen embryos without his consent in an amount equal to his total costs for support and education of the child.
$10 Million Arbitration Award: Wrongful Birth
"Thank you for everything. Things will never be perfect, but because of you things will be a little easier because we are now able to get our daughter the services she needs and pay her medical expenses. You all acted in a very professional manner, and were really on top of everything!"
$342K Jury Verdict: Gynecological Medical Malpractice
"Thank you for all of your hard work. As a firm, you all acted as a professional team, and I was proud of my representation."
$450K Settlement: Failure to Diagnose Breast Cancer
"The medical malpractice attorneys at Todd & Weld have once again proven themselves effective in representing their clients to the best of their ability and have come out on top. With their help, accountability finally has been upheld for the misdiagnosis of my breast cancer. As a young woman, I felt strongly that accountability was a necessity for those involved with my case to ensure it wouldn't happen again to other young women. There were times I thought hope might have been lost, but with the experience and persistence of my team at Todd & Weld, they were able to push through the adversity and still make it happen. I cannot say enough about what a great experience it has been being represented by them."
$350K Settlement: Nursing Home Malpractice
"We would like to thank you for the outstanding work you did on behalf of our mother. All of you were professional and efficient throughout the entire process. Your foresight on all matters relating to our claim was truly remarkable. We owe the success of our case to your dedication and perseverance."
Medical Malpractice Settlement
"Thank you for being so nice to me in trying times and for handling my case so well. I have nothing but lots of respect and well wishes for you."
Medical Malpractice Settlement
"You should take great pride in the fact that because of you our lives have changed for the better. We can now have a better quality of life because of the medical devices that we were never able to purchase. Up to now, they have been out of our financial reach as they are not yet approved for medical insurance coverage."