Seth J. Robbins is a partner at the firm. He specializes in several areas of litigation, including complex business and commercial disputes, First Amendment law, employment law, and probate and fiduciary law. Mr. Robbins has successfully tried and resolved cases on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in various federal and state courts throughout the country.
Mr. Robbins is widely known for his fearless and tireless advocacy on behalf of his clients, ranging from large publicly owned and privately held companies to individuals who feel the odds are stacked against them.
Some of Mr. Robbins’ recent and notable achievements include:
- Obtaining a favorable declaratory judgment on behalf of a large healthcare company following a multi-day trial in the State of Tennessee.
- Representing multiple private equity firms in litigation brought in Western Pennsylvania and, after conducting aggressive discovery, resolving the case for a small fraction of the plaintiff’s damages claim.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of Phillips Screw Company against the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). The Suffolk County Superior Court (Ball, J.) held that the DOR violated its own regulations when it sent the client’s tax information to taxing authorities in other jurisdictions without first receiving a written request for the information. Phillips Screw Company v. Commissioner of Revenue, Suffolk Superior Court, Civil Action No. 2013-00607-G.
- Securing a highly lucrative settlement on behalf of a local small business against a foreign multi-billion dollar corporation for unpaid commissions.
- Securing a favorable settlement, and avoiding a lengthy and costly trial, on behalf of a private equity firm accused of breaching a fiduciary duty to a former employee.
- Attaining favorable settlements on behalf of companies that received faulty tax advice.
- Achieving a favorable settlement in the State of Ohio on behalf of a Massachusetts real estate development company against an individual and his real estate management company for fraudulent misrepresentations related to the sale of certain real estate.
- Recovering a substantial security deposit, with interest, on behalf of a company whose commercial landlord unreasonably withheld the deposit after the company lawfully vacated the property upon termination of the lease.
- Securing a substantial settlement shortly after filing suit, and prior to taking any depositions, on behalf of an individual doctor pursuing a claim for defamation against another doctor.
- Securing a favorable settlement against a Fortune 500 company in connection with a former female employee's claim for gender discrimination.
- Securing a favorable settlement on behalf of a company against a former employee and the former employee's new employer, a competitor company, for the misappropriation of the company's trade secrets and the former employee's violation of the company's non-compete and confidentiality agreement.
Probate & Fiduciary Litigation
- Successfully petitioning the Supreme Judicial Court to reform a trust to conform with the objectives of the settlor.
- Obtaining a judgment of $504,290, including an award for attorneys' fees, against an individual who forged a will and defrauded an estate of several hundreds of thousands of dollars. In re Estate of Pasquale Caia, Middlesex Probate & Family Court, No. 05-4316.
Mr. Robbins is a product of Suffolk University Law School, where he graduated cum laude, Boston College, and Phillips Academy Andover. While at Suffolk University Law School, Mr. Robbins was a Note Editor for the Suffolk Transnational Law Review and authored an article on music piracy.